B&M Racing and Performance
B&M Automotive Products was founded by Bob Spar and Mort Schuman (B&M) in 1953. In 1955, Bob’s brother Don went to work for B&M. Soon after, B&M produced the only patented 4-speed automatic racing transmission in history, known as the famous B&M Hydro Stick.
Through the 1960′s B&M became one of the dominant forces in racing automatic transmissions. In 1965 Frank Cannon made the first 200 MPH Top Fuel run in history using a B&M TorkMaster Transmission at Long Beach, California. Don Prudhomme’s first solo effort was in the B&M owned and sponsored TorkMaster car. In 1969 B&M teamed up with Andy Granatelli and Plymouth and developed the only automatic transmission ever for Indy Car racing. B&M also teamed up with Chrysler and developed the torque converter for the Hemi that dominated Super Stock racing in the late 1960′s. The company was the first to create what is known now as a high stall speed racing torque converter as well as the first to develop the forerunner of today’s racing automatic shifters.